"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly."
-Pres. Thomas S. Monson

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Grandma's House

I found myself in Bountiful last week, so I was pulled to drive down Parish Lane and see my Grandma's house.  It has changed.  It was white when I would come here, and there were two giant trees in the front.  No shutters.  And two of the best silver haired people I knew used to wave to us from the porch as we drove away.  One always filled my bowl with a heaping mound of ice cream, and the other used to grab me with his cane as I walked past his recliner.

I miss my grandparents sometimes.  I especially missed them when I was having Paige and I realized that she was never going to meet them while she was on this earth.  It also made me grateful that I have 4 wonderful in-lawed grandparents that I get to adopt as my own.

Back to my Grandma's house....  I love it!  It's full of happy memories.  I loved sitting on the red brick parkway strip and playing "your car, your car, my car" while eating tuna sandwiches.  I loved our roaring Thanksgivings out in the covered patio where my Uncle Larry would literally eat for hours and hours.  I loved jumping off the shed on the side yard, climbing the best climbing trees in the world, shelling peas in the shade of the big pine trees in the back, sneaking mint leaves for a taste, riding sheep in the pasture, eating starlight mints and packets of equal, and discovering all kinds of mail ordered treasures that my grandma had packed away.  And watching "The Sandlot"!  We watched that a lot.

I hope one day my kids will drive past my parents house and be flooded with happy times.  Life is good, my friends.  I'm so glad I get to share it with such wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment