"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly."
-Pres. Thomas S. Monson

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Day 20- Called to Serve

For years I have longed to be in Young Women.  I love teenagers.  I find them hilarious, and fresh, and exciting.  I always loved the program when I was growing up, and I've wanted to be a part of it ever since I graduated and moved on.

This year I was finally called as the 1st Counselor in Young Women.  I love being with the girls on Sundays, and we always have a blast during our Wednesday activities.  I have the cutest group of girls that I can honestly say I love with my whole heart.

In spite of everything, what I have done the last little while?  Complained.  I tell everyone about what I refer to as my "Wednesday Stress" because I'm getting ready for activities, or I say how busy it is, or how it's hard to leave my kids (or take my kids!) because they cry and it stresses Dallas out because he's trying to get homework done, etc, etc...

You know what I haven't done?  Thanked my Heavenly Father for giving me an opportunity to be inspired be these girls. 

Tonight was Young Women in Excellence.  I sat there as girl after girl got up and shared talents and projects that they had been working on for months- some years!- and I was completely blown away; not only by their talents, but by their spirit.

I've been given a rare opportunity to be touched by these Daughters of God.  I was watching them as they were all practicing the song "His Hands" that they would be singing as the closing song.  They giggled, and made room for everyone, and then they sang of their Savior.   

Their Savior.   

My Savior.

I am humbled by them.  I am awed by them.  I am blessed by them.  I can't help but wonder if they really know their worth?  I hope, in my small part, that I can help show them.

1 comment:

  1. YW is the best. I love having a stake calling because I get to interact with even more Young Women, but I miss the personal connections that you have with the girls on a ward level.

    ReplyDelete