"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly."
-Pres. Thomas S. Monson

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Mad Hatter



The hats that I wear take many shapes
Some are small, some are big, and some make me late;
I’ll share them with you, if you can give pause,
And then you will see which hats have good cause.

In the early morning I wear hat of runner,
You would think at 5 I could find something funner.
A hop, skip and a jump and then I am home,
Only to mark what I did on my cute green iPhone.

A minute goes by, ten, twelve, or twenty?
How much time have I spent?  I can tell you- plenty.
I put it down for there are babies to bathe!
On goes hat number three- children servant.  Or slave?

A mother am I, and this hat is my favorite!
They take most my time, but I try to savor it.
Each babe is fed, dressed, and looking so cool,
Then on goes the chauffeur hat and off to the school.

Along with that hat I wear one or two more,
Multitasking at hand, I make the telephone grand tour,
“Hi Bre, Audra, sister, grandma,  mom, and hi Jenn!”
“Hello!”  as I wear hats of daughter, sister and friend.

At home once more and the youngest asleep,
I’ve got a mess to clean up and a floor to sweep.
On goes my maid hat as I fold endless loads.
It’s easy to see this is the hat that I loathe...

The day goes on as I wear hat of teacher,
Helping kids in brother’s class become better readers.
A cook I am also! See chef hat so white,
Come into my kitchen and I’ll share a bite!

Some days I also pretend to be younger,
Cute girls forgive me when often I blunder.
At work an apron instead of a hat,
A coach also! A whistle I use for that.

It’s hard to remember that I’m also a wife.
Almost 11 years ago I promised my life,
To be sweet and serving to my working man,
This hat’s something I actually wear on my hand.

My final hat that I’ll choose to share,
 Is a hat that requires such delicate care.
I must tend to it daily, sometimes by the hour,
For it is a hat that is filled with power.

A daughter of God, and a Queen’s crown I wear,
There’s something about this I really must share.
You each wear this crown, I hope you believe it.
I know that at times it seems hard to see it.

For God loves you.  You’re his.  He wants you to know,
That even through all other hats, this one shows.
Take time to read, study, pray and ponder,
That is how Father will talk to his daughter.

He will help you to know what hats you can put down,
Because sometimes the weight of the hats makes you frown.
Some hats must stay on, and those He will steady,
He’ll be there to catch some until you are ready.

So gather your hats! Though they may drive you mad,
With the help of our Father they won’t be so bad.

-Amylee Nicoll
March 2014

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely and completely adore this! You are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been following any blogs lately due to the lack of time, but I'm very glad I read this today. I needed it :) I love poetry as I'm sure you already know, it's just a language that makes things so much clearer in my head. This poem spoke to me and brought tears to my eyes. you are such an amazing person Amy! Thanks for being such a faithful example to me. You balance life better than anyone anyone I know. I look up to you. Keep up the good work.

    Love you!

    -Les-

    ReplyDelete