"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly."
-Pres. Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, December 7, 2014

I would have been a shepherd.

Over the last few years I have been thinking a lot about that first Christmas day.  What would I have been if I had been there?  How would I have played my part?

In truth, I have always hoped I was an angel.  To rejoice with the rest of the heavenly throng over the birth of the Messiah is what my soul would have wanted!   As much as I would have liked to be an angel, I don't think that would have been my part.  I can feel that music deep in my soul, but it never comes out quite like I imagine it.

While I have many wonderful and beautiful things, I wouldn't have been a wise man that could have come bearing valuable earthly gifts for my King.

As I sat in church today I heard many testimonies; of the living Christ, of the reality of God's love for each of his children, of the principal of forgiveness.  As tears streamed down my face, I knew what I would have been.

I would have been a shepherd.

If an angel came to me and told me of the babe in a manger, I know I would have gone.  I would have seen Him in the most humble of circumstances.  I would have worshiped that perfect babe, and then I would have left- telling everyone I knew, friends and strangers alike, that I had seen the Savior of the World.

I wasn't there that first Christmas day, but I can tell all I know, just as sure as I live, our savior Jesus Christ lives.  He lived a perfect life to show us how to better our own.  He showed us the ultimate act of love, saving each and every one of us as He prepared our way to return to our Father in Heaven.

No, I was not a shepherd on that first Noel, but I can be one today as I share what I know.  Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I don't know what I would have been (probably the one that was too proud or distracted to show up), but I would love to be a shepherd right next to you, the fact that we would have a lot of fun working together on non-miracle days may have something to do with that!

    I love that we can still shepherds in the Lord's flock. As members who are blessed with the restored gospel of Jesus Christ we have a responsibility to pave the way for the return of the Savior, that means that we are building and straightening the road he will walk on! We still need to lead those sheep. We still need to hear when he calls and drop everything to come. Still our jobs may seem at times lowly, but the Savior descended below all,and He is only asking us to do what He, Himself, would do if He was physically on earth!

    ReplyDelete