"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly."
-Pres. Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Week 6- Is this real life?

As I write this, my back is sore, my legs are sore, my neck is sore, my finger tips are sore, my ankle hurts, and even my forehead hurts.  It's safe to say that nearly every square inch of my body aches.  I now know what it feels like to fall down a window well.

This happened after our group safety meeting and a few days after I nearly shot my supervisor with a nail gun.

If I make it through this without any serious injuries (or causing any to others!) it will be a miracle.

We just finished our first full time week building the houses.  Dallas and I put in just over 41 hours this week, and that doesn't include when Grandpa Kaiserman came over to help for awhile on Saturday.  Everything went smoothly and the kids are no worse for the wear.  In fact, they were disappointed on the days that they didn't have a babysitter!  Here's what the past week's work schedule looked like:

4:30-9 PM- Amy work at the Claim Jumper

4 PM- Family Dinner
4:30 PM- Annie, choir
4:45 PM- Kids at Grandma Kaiserman's, Annie dropped off by neighbor after choir
5-9 PM- Dallas and Amy work at house
(Kids both had soccer games today, but they had to miss.  Too much going on!)

4 PM- Will, cub scouts
7 PM- Amy, Young Women's
7PM- Dallas, Elder's Quorom

4:30 PM- Family Dinner
 4:50 PM- Babysitter coming!
5-9 PM- Dallas and Amy work at house

4 PM- Kristie is here to babysit!
5-9 PM- Dallas and Amy work on the house

8 AM- Kristie babysits!
8-5:30 PM- Dallas and Amy work on the house
9 AM- Annie, soccer game
9 AM- Will, soccer game

For the most part, this is what our lives for the next nine months or so will be!  This next week is the kids last week of soccer.  Typically both Dallas and I won't be working on the house together on Friday night.  Dallas only has his church meetings on every other Wednesday, so he will alternate between working on Wednesday evenings and Fridays.  It was nice having Kristie to watch the kids this weekend because we could take full advantage and get some real work in!

Everything truly went so smoothly.  I have just been praying and praying that the kids would be able to handle the changes, and so far so good.  Even Paige has been a trooper and hasn't even cried when we've left!  I am so grateful.

As far as the actual building goes...  At times it has actually felt relaxing, and at other times I've wanted to light something on fire.  We are learning a lot, and I'm already impressed at what we have already learned to do. Dallas and I have been assigned the task of the floor joists.  It is pretty time consuming.  We had about 25 hours of work finishing the joists on the house we finished on Saturday.  Hopefully the next house will go a lot faster now that we know what we are doing and have found a rhythm.

I LOVE our neighbors!  We truly could not have ended up in a better group of individuals.  We are so lucky.  I am so sad to be leaving the ward we are in now. We have such great friends here, but knowing that we are moving in by these people makes it so much easier.  By the time we move in we will practically be family!

This next week we have a lot going on and I hope all will go smoothly.  Can't wait to see more progress on these houses!

We were beat after our first long Saturday on site, but still happy!


  1. I am so in love with this whole idea and thing. Go you guys!

  2. I am so excited for your family and so proud of you both!